Mountain Khakis Poplin Shorts Features:
- 4.65oz 70% Cotton/30% Polyester Poplin with Peach Finish
- 5 Pockets
- Welt Back Pockets with Coconut Button Closure
- YKK® Zipper
- Inseam Action Gusset
- Triple-Stitched Seams
- Garment Washed
- Mid-Rise, Relaxed Fit
- Inseam Lengths: 8, 10, 12
- MSRP: $64.95
Now is the time of year we all start shuffling through our shorts — taking inventory of what we like, don’t like, will wear and won’t wear. And, as luck would have it, new styles, colors and fabrics come along to catch our eye. Mountain Khakis has slowly expanded their apparel to be more casual-mountain instead of rugged-mountain all the time. The new Poplin shorts are a great example of just that.
The Poplin shorts feature a great blend of lightweight cotton/poly fabrics to eliminate wrinkles and improve wear/durability. The fabric has a great feel to it and results in a pair of shorts that can be fully casual or slightly dressy, depending on what you wear with it.
The fit is nice and comfortable, but I’d prefer a little lower waistline or perhaps I should have gone with the 33 waist instead of the 32 (which might have accomplished the same thing). The 12-inch length is about as short as I could possibly ever go in a pair of casual shorts. But, for those still channeling their inner Magnum P.I., you can go down to 10 or even 8-inch inseam. Tan up those trunks and show ’em off if that’s your style.
A cool feature that’s common among Mountain Khakis shorts and pants is their unique double hand pocket on the right side of the shorts. This serves to secure and separate pocketed items. For example, you can slip your iPhone into the innermost pocket and your keys in the main pocket and the keys won’t dance on your screen. Smart, right?
So far, they have resisted stains and continue to wear well after several washes with no signs of fraying or color fading. Overall construction on these shorts is bomber with triple-stitched areas and soft touches like a nylon ribbon around the waistband for extra comfort.
- Kosher for a broader market in 12-inch inseam (all I’ll wear)
- Available in 8 or 10-inch lengths (if you like showing more leg)
- Poplin fabric feels very comfortable and breathes well in hot weather
- Handy double right-front pockets keep items organized
- Color variety from fun to traditional
- Durable, high-quality construction and touches
- Resists wrinkles well
- Front zipper has mighty sharp teeth
- Wish they sat lower on my hips
- 12-inch is good, but I’d go for a 13 or 14-inch inseam in these
The Bottom Line
Mountain Khakis shows their mountain-casual side with the new Poplin Shorts. The fabric has a nice feel, dries quickly and has proven to be extremely durable. Size up for a little more relaxed fit at the waist.
Buy Now: Available at Moosejaw.com