Before heading into a 5-day backcountry trip in the Wind River Range, I took an inventory of all the necessary gear. Part of that, for me, involved looking at all the safety equipment and first aid items I’d bring along. With a group of ten, having a few first aid kits would be essential. So, I turned to none other than Adventure Medical Kits and their Whitetail medical kit that’s part of their Sportsman Series of first aid kits.
Adventure Medical Kit Whitetail Includes:
- Bandage Materials
- 6 – Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1″ x 3″
- 4 – Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
- 3 – Bandage, Butterfly Closure
- 1 – Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3″
- 2 – Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2″ x 2″, Pkg./2
- 2 – Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 4″ x 4″, Pkg./2
- 2 – Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3″ x 4″
- 1 – Gloves, Nitrile (Pair)
- 1 – Instructions, Easy Care Bleeding
- 1 – Trauma Pad, 5″ x 9″
- Blister / Burns
- 1 – Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped (14 pieces)
- 1 – EMT Shears, 4″
- 1 – Pencil
- 3 – Safety Pins
- 1 – Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps
- Medical Information
- 1 – Comp. Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine
- 1 – Patient Assessment Form
- 2 – After Bite Wipe
- 2 – Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
- 2 – Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2
- 1 – Instructions, Easy Care Medications
- Wound Care
- 6 – Antiseptic Wipe
- 1 – Cotton Tip Applicator, Pkg./2
- 1 – Dressing, Petrolatum, 3″ x 3″
- 1 – Instructions, Easy Care Wound
- 1 – Skin Tac Topical Adhesive Wipes
- 1 – Syringe, Irrigation, 10 cc, 18 Gauge Tip
- 1 – Tape, 1/2″ x 10 Yards
- 3 – Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use
- Measures: 8″ x 5″ x 3″ and 1 lb.
- Price: $50
Whitetail kit was added insurance
Even though I’ve rarely had to tap into one, I’ve always carried a first aid kit when I’ve traveled into the backcountry. This time, it wasn’t just for myself, but also for a handful of others in our group of 12 as we ventured to the Green River Lakes in Wyoming’s Wind River Range.
If you’re unfamiliar with the Wind River Range, let me tell you a little bit about this rugged and remote mountain range. it runs southeast of the more famous Tetons and is actually home to the tallest peaks in Wyoming with Gannett Peak being the highpoint of the state. This mountain range is remote with very little in the way of civilization nearby.
We’d drop in at the Green River Lakes Campground which sits at 8,000 ft. and is home to swarms of blood-sucking mosquitoes. This area is also home to a healthy Grizzly Bear population and is a prime fishing area that’s popular with fly fisherman and sport fisherman alike. And, there are hundreds of miles of backpacking trails throughout the range.
With that kind of remote terrain and adventures in our sights, it made absolute sense to search out a new first aid kit to take care of some of our crew. I didn’t need a kit to cover everyone since we had additional kits along, so I opted for the Whitetail kit that could treat a portion of our group, if necessary.
The kit comes in a small, zippered carrying case that makes for easy transport and keeps things together. The tote handles are nice to have for easy hauling, when needed. Zipping it open, the kit is well-organized with labels for: Stop Bleeding, Medication Instrument Panel and Wound Care/Sprain/Blister. Within each compartment, you will find the appropriate items for those needs. Each zippered section is easily-opened and accessed in a hurry.
All included items are good-quality but nothing is name brand. For $50, the items included and quality is inline with what I’d expect. Filtering through the pockets, it’s easy to find stuff, but I’d certainly suggest getting familiar with what’s included by opening things up and pulling items out.
While on the trip, we didn’t have any need to use the Whitetail kit, but I was sure glad I had it. It’s size and capabilities made for an easy choice on all-day hikes (just stashed it in my hydration pack) and all-day paddles.
The Bottom Line: Adventure Medical Kits Whitetail Kit
It makes absolute sense to bring a first aid kit on your next adventure. And, Adventure Medical Kits makes that easy with a variety of affordable options and more extensive kits that cost a little bit more.