Short-sleeve jersey season has ended for most of us, but the Velocis has been a staple of my high-vis routine for the better part of this year. Kudos to Bontrager for delivering the most complete high-vis kits and lights on the market with the Velocis Halo providing both daytime visibility and nighttime reflectivity.
Bontrager Velocis Halo Jersey Features:
- Profila Dry fabric featuring Pixel reflective technology for ultimate awareness
- 37.5 active particle technology is faster drying, longer lasting and better for you
- Full zip for ventilation on long climbs or warm days
- Three open back pockets and one rear zippered sweat-proof pocket for electronics
- Drop tail design for cycling-specific fit
- Powerband gripper at bottom hem for a precise on bike fit
- Fitted cut provides streamlined body fit for enhanced performance
- MSRP: $199
Bontrager has been actively promoting their lights and high-vis kits for several years now. Without question, their head and tail lights (Flare R and Ion) are keeping cyclists more visible day and night. The Velocis Halo kit adds icing on the visibility cake with bright, block designs and nighttime reflectivity.
When I head out on a ride, my first thought is temperature and weather, but a close second is visibility. It’s a sad reality, but we need do do everything in our power to be seen as a hefty part of riding defensively on the roads. And, while I have a ton of jerseys at my disposal, the Velocis Halo was one of my top choices simply because it’s so darn visible.
Fit is stated to be “fitted”, but I really should have sized down. I’m 5’11” and 170 lbs and the Large isn’t as form-fitting as I’d like. And, during high-speed descents, it flaps around a little in the shoulders and back. It’s not terrible, but if I had the choice, I’d size down.
The rear jersey pockets are average-sized and easily-accessed in the saddle. The Velocis gets bonus points for a water-resistant phone pocket and a headphone loop (if you’re into that). With a wide waistband, it stays put well, however, the frontside tends to curve upwards like it’s happy to see me. Again, I think a Medium would cure things.
Again, after a good 8 months of use, I’m not seeing any signs of wear and the fabric is not pilling anywhere. The front zipper is easily-pulled up/down with a single hand. I will add that the sleeves are a little tight, so anyone with legitimate biceps may find the fit restricting.
- Day/night visibility
- Quality materials have withstood a full season of abuse
- Classic pockets are easily-reached
- Water-resistant media pocket is nice
- Size down if you want a race fit
- Front hem tends to curve upwards
The Bottom Line: Bontrager Velocis Halo Jersey
When visibility is your coal, the Velocis Halo should be your choice. Bright colors deliver daytime visibility and reflective material deliver nighttime reflectivity. Size down for a proper race fit.