Zipp’s 303 wheelset has long been the workhorse in the lineup. They have tackled the cobbled classics, Tour de France stages, World Cup cyclocross courses, mountainous terrain, gravel roads and everything in-between. Over the past 10 years, we’ve ridden several flavors of 303’s, but the all-new 2021 Zipp 303 Firecrest is the most exciting yet.
For starters, the depth has been reduced from 45mm to 40mm and the weight has been dropped by 300 grams for the wheelset. Yes, 300 grams. Oh yeah, and it’s $600 cheaper too. That weight and price reduction, combined with a Goldilocks 40mm depth pretty much puts these squarely into the “one wheel to rule them all” category. The 303’s are Zipp’s best-selling wheels and this move further squeezes the 202’s out of the picture in my view. Even with all the climbing here in Utah, the 303’s are my personal choice and now even more so.
Along with the new Zipp 303 S wheelsets, these are now tubeless-only and come with tire pressure recommendations that will raise eyebrows and a max tire pressure of 72.5 psi. Again, SRAM has provided a handy tire pressure guide to use with these and any other tubeless wheel. In their testing, Zipp found that riders were faster, fresher and more confident with wider tires and lower pressures. It’s time to finally throw those high pressures of yesteryear into the trash.
The cosmetic updates shown here on the 303 will follow through the entire Zipp lineup for 2021. And, the entire Zipp lineup is now tubeless-ready.
2021 Zipp 303 Firecrest Details:
- Updated graphics and design on these and all 2021 Zipp wheels
- All-new rim shape with 30mm outside width
- Hookless, tubeless-only bead that’s a wide 25mm across
- Versatile, 40mm depth
- TSE Technology (Total System Efficiency) for wind resistance, rolling resistance, gravity (weight/durability) and vibration loss
- Compatible with tubeless tires only (tubes in a pinch)
- Versatile 40mm depth
- Sawtooth dimpling pattern
- All-new, German-engineered ZR1 DB hub
- Cassette driver with 66 points of engagement (Shimano/XDR/Campy)
- Centerlock rotor interface
- Sapim CX-Sprint J-bend spokes
- Available in 700c only
- Lifetime warranty to original owner
- Weight: 1355 grams (pair)
- Price: $1900
More Info: Visit Zipp.com