There’s no way around it, if you have an iPhone and if you bring it along on all your adventures, then you need a waterproof case. I’ve had good and bad experiences with LifeProof cases with the Fre delivering a challenging touchscreen experience and the Nuud being more-or-less “splash proof.” The new Catalyst case is coming in with high expectations, so we’ll see how it fares.
Overall construction feels solid and I like that the headphone/charging port is a simple rubber grommet instead of a fingernail-breaking lever and a threaded screw. However, that does also make me nervous at the same time since it feels a little less secure. Real-world testing will reveal whether that concern is founded or not.
Other than that, the change to an iPhone 6 results in rounded edges instead of the squared edges I’ve got now with the LifeProof Nuud on my iPhone 5. Taking trail selfies may prove a little more difficult since it won’t stand up as well on its own. Like LifeProof cases, the Catalyst case for iPhone 6 features a waterproof, drop proof and dirt proof design.
With a fully-covered screen, the Catalyst case enables access to all Control Center functions and sits flat against the screen for a more consistent experience compared to the LifeProof cases I’ve tested.
In-hand, the case feels comfortable and I look forward to giving it a thorough adventure life test. This case will spend hours in a sweaty jersey pocket, be stashed in the rear pocket of my trail running shorts, get dropped in a rushing stream and endure countless drops, bumps and dirt — all for the sake of pushing the limits of Applecare.
A few colors are currently available for the iPhone 6 for $69.99 with cases for the 6 Plus coming in mid-April for $74.99.
Features of the Catalyst case for iPhone 6:
- Every unit tested IP-68 waterproof 5m (16.4′) and fully dust proof
- Designed to meet MIL-SPEC 810G for drops up to 2m (6.6′); premium non-slip rubber exterior, lanyard attachment point on case and included wrist lanyard for extra protection so your device will always be secure
- 11.4mm ultra slim design maintains curved shape of your iPhone 6 and features signature Catalyst clear case front and clear case back to showcase and compliment the look of your iPhone
- Elegant patented rotating crown dial to switch mute on and off
- Integrated ultra sensitive non-watermarking screen protector that maintains full access to touchscreen including all Control Center functions
- Airtight waterproof acoustic membranes use True Sound Acoustics technology to transmit sound clearly
- Full access to all buttons, sensors, cameras, flash and Touch ID (with non watermarking Touch ID membrane that allows full fingerprint biometric scan)
- Hard coated optical lens is not recessed to keep lens area clear of trapped water, snow, dirt, or salt spray and allow crystal clear photos
- Easy to assemble and disassemble; made of durable materials to avoid limitations on the number of times that parts can be removed and reassembled.
- Charge port is compatible with Lightning connector heads on most after market charge cables up to 11.5mm wide and 6mm thick
- Audio port allows quick access to 3.5mm stereo headphone minijack on iPhone 6 and is compatible with most after market headphone jacks up to a port dimension of 6mm; audio jack adapter sold separately for L shaped jacks or jacks> 6mm in diameter
- Dimensions 11.4 mm thin, 150.4 mm tall, 77 mm wide (0.45″ x 5.91″ x 3.04″)
- Weight 44g
- Price: $69.99
More Info: Visit CatalystLifestyle.com