While we’re always stoked to report on and review the top-of-the-line components, the reality is that most mountain bikers are just fine with the workhorse-level components. Saving money is big on everyone’s minds and when it comes down to it, most mountain bike shoppers will gladly downgrade the components a notch while keeping the same frameset. Or, when custom-building a new bike, they opt for lower-grade components to get the high-zoot frame. Either way, it works.
And, for 2012, SRAM’s X5 drivetrain gets an overhaul — joining the 2×10 brigade and becoming lighter and more efficient in the process. While it may not be for all riders, I’m confident that for many, it will open the doors to a better experience without blowing the budget. Again, not the lightest, but very budget-friendly.
2012 SRAM X5 2×10 Pricing:
- Rear Derailleur X-5 10-speed Medium Cage Aluminum Black – MSRP $64.00 USD
- Front Derailleur X-5 2×10 – MSRP range $35.00 –$42.00 USD
- Shifter X-5 Trigger Set 2×10 – MSRP $62.00 USD
- SRAM Crank X5 – MSRP range $136.00 — $195.00 USD
- Cassette PG-1030 11-36 10 speed – MSRP $75.00 USD
To see the new X5 grouppo, click the image below to download the PDF.
More Info: Visit SRAM.com