The Platypus Origin 9 is a mid-sized hydration pack with 3 liter bladder in back compartment, 9 liter main storage compartment, with internal accessory pocket and an outer open pocket. Two smaller easy to access pockets on hip belt. Exterior welded light loop/lash points and reflective detailing.
Platypus has 5 different sizes of Hydration Packs. The Origin 9 is their light full day epic pack. All their packs come in three colours – Blue, Green and Black. The pack weighs in at a respectable 1 lbs 8 oz or 662 g. It is constructed of tough waterproof 10,000mm-coated fabric, welded all-weather zippers and heat-taped seams.
Platypus Origin 9 Features:
- Weatherproof Protection: Waterproof, 10,000mm-coated fabrics, welded, all-weather zippers and heat-taped seams.
- Integrated Hydration: Dedicated, easy-access compartment for included 3.0L Big Zip™ SL reservoir, options for top, bottom, left or right hose routing, lightweight reservoir suspension toggles, and locking hose clips.
- Clean Design: Precisely what you need and nothing you don’t to keep things light and simple.
- Refined Fit: BioCurve™ back panel, plus ergonomic shoulder straps with soft, stretch-woven surfaces and high and low shoulder strap attachment points for long and short torsos, respectively.
- Essential Features: On the go waist pockets – quick-access external sleeve pocket – internal organizer – welded light loop/lash points – reflective detailing.
- Colors: Green, Blue, Black
- MSRP: $99.95
Platypus Origin 9 Hydration Pack Review
Featuring a separate water bladder storage with options for top, bottom, left or right hose routing, lightweight reservoir suspension toggles, and locking hose clips creates options for your hose and security of the bladder. As well if the bladder leaks or is wet when you fill it it will not get other parts of the pack wet.
Main compartment is also water proof with an internal accessory pocket. This main compartment contains your tools, food and spare clothes in one section. Two smaller easy to access pockets are on hip belt for food or other items you need quick access to.
Exterior welded light loop is right on the back where you can attach a light for commuting. As well loops for helmet or other attachments are easy to use.
I was able to store my tools, spare tube, pump etc. in the main compartment as well as my food and spare jacket for all-day rides. I could also store another spare jacket in the water bladder compartment if I wanted it out of the way. A second open pocket was also present on the back which I would use to store spare gloves or other items. The pack fit comfortably with Platypus’s BioCurve™ back panel. The ergonomic shoulder straps were comfortable and easily adjusted.
The hip belt also held the pack securely to my back until the trail got very rough when it would move around. I was concerned about the narrow waste straps but they were generally not an issue unless I over tightened them. .I was really impressed with the external hip belt pockets. I could keep food and tools in there and they didn’t fall out.
The pack held everything I needed for an all-day ride. I could secure my helmet to the outside of the pack easily for storage or on longer climbs. While I was able to carry light XC knee pads in the outer pocket of this pack, securing bigger knee pads or more armor was less convenient. Addition of external straps would help in this situation.
Bottom Line: Platypus Origin 9 Hydration Pack
A light, simple water proof pack that fits well and carries everything you need for a days cross country ride. Could use a separate pocket for the sunglasses and other more delicate items now required on rides.