The proliferation of carbon fiber has taken the bike industry by storm and caused consumers to feel the need to get aboard these light and stiff machines. I’ve been bit by the carbon bug and admittedly propagate it to the masses (sorry about that). In the world of fatbikes, however, there aren’t many carbon options. And, out of the gate, Salsa Cycles has put everyone else on notice.
The 2014 Salsa Beargrease full-carbon fatbike has now been awarded an Eurobike award in the mountain biking category. The frame looks awesome and donned with SRAM XX1, it is going to be as light and efficient as fatbikes come. It’s about time I rode bikes all winter long and the Beargrease Carbon looks to be just the ticket for snowpacked trails and roads.
Quick Highlights of the Salsa Beargrease Carbon:
- Full carbon frameset
- 121mm pressfit bottom bracket
- Suspension-adjusted fork (setting the table for squish at some point)
- 142x15mm front and 177x12mm rear axles
- Available in XX1 or X9 builds or frame-only
- Weight: 26.3 lbs (Medium XX1)
- MSRP: $2599 (frame only)