Once again, the Sea Otter product releases continue flooding my inbox. This time the news is from Syncros about their new carbon fiber wheels, the Syncros FL25 Carbon (which actually were announced at Interbike last Fall). I posted about the new Easton Haven Carbon wheels last week, but now Syncros is joining the carbon fiber wheelset train.
It’s cool to see carbon technology expanding into more and more all-mountain applications, but it does not come cheap. Tipping the scales at a minimalist 1488 grams for the pair, you’re shaving just over 400 grams from the venerable Crank Brothers Iodine at twice the price.
Instead of going with a convertible hub, the FL25 will come in either a 9mm or 15mm axle option and in both Centerlock or standard 6-bolt rotors. While the Syncros hubs don’t quite have the sex-appeal of the Haven’s, the overall package price is $400 less than Easton’s hoops and you get a standard DT-Swiss spoke laced in a 3-cross pattern, which means durability and ease-of-servicing. We’re still talking a ton of coin for wheels, but reducing rolling weight makes a huge difference in handling and rider effort over the course of a long ride. Look long and hard, my friend.
Syncros FL25 Wheelset Details:
- 3K Carbon monocoque construction provides an extremely light, stiff and durable rim
- 25mm wide rim, 28 hole
- 6 bolt disc (or Centerlock), 3X construction, DT Competition spokes & Alloy nipples
- 9 or 15mm front hub options
- Enduro® dual row angular bearing system for the ultimate in light weight and durability
- Syncros light weight signature QR’s (not included w/ 15mm front hub)
- 100% handbuilt
- Finish: Matte UD Carbon Grunge
- Weight: 1,488 grams/set
- MSRP: $1,899.90 (set)
More Info: Visit Syncros.com