Obtaining the lightest helmet available isn’t always the ultimate goal. In years past, the end result would have been worthy of serious question. With the current focus on helmet construction and safety — including the integration of additional technologies like MIPS, WaveCel, Koroyd and others — it could be seen as antithetical to introduce a 190 gram, fully-featured road helmet to the market. And, while it’s astoundingly light, the fact hat the Ventral Lite is made by POC tells me that they may have just cracked the secret to lightweight and protective helmet design.
Back in the day, I reviewed the ultralight Smith Maze ski helmet. That particular helmet broke new ground as the lightest, fully-certified ski helmet on the market. Part of the appeal was it felt like you weren’t wearing a helmet. The same mantra holds true with the new POC Ventral Lite. In fact, Oscar Huss (Head of Product) has stated that very fact.
“We strongly believe that the safest helmet is one you choose to wear, one which you always look forward to wearing. With the Ventral Lite, we used our Whole Helmet Concept™ to create a helmet that provides the best protection and still meet the needs of those riders who don’t want to compromise on weight or ventilation. The Ventral Lite will provide the protection those riders deserve without ever noticing it’s there.”
Now, in 2021, I don’t know a single serious road cyclist who doesn’t wear a helmet. But, the fact is, many helmets are heavy and underventilated. As far as ventilation goes, I keep the POC Ventral Air SPIN helmet on hand for the hottest of summer days. The new Ventral Lite will provide that same type of breathability along with a 90 gram weight savings (medium).
POC Ventral Lite Details:
- Extremely lightweight – the lightest POC has ever produced.
- Certified to EN 1078, CPSC 12.03, AS/NZ 2063
- Structurally strong – Changes to the shell and liner design give enhanced structural integrity.
- EPS liner – The optimization of the liner allows for a lower-density EPS liner to be used
- Lightweight in-mold PC shell – The outer PC shell is precisely formed to save weight but still provide optimal protection.
- New size adjustment system – The minimalist and lightweight size adjustment system delivers a precise and secure fit.
- Re-designed lightweight straps – adjustable and optimised to save weight.
- Weight: 190 grams (medium)
- MSRP: $275
More Info: Visit POCsports.com
Images courtesy POC Sports