Sleeping bags can set you back a mint, but you can certainly find a good-quality bag at an affordable price these days as well. Eureka! tends to push the limits of quality, features and price and the Casper 15 is a great example of those efforts.
Eureka Casper 15 Sleeping Bag Features:
- Zipper Side: Right
- Insulation: Rteq™
- Temp Rating: 15°F
- Size: L:82″ / fits to 6′ W:32″ chest / 21″ feet Girth:64″ shoulders / 52″ waist
- Carry Weight: 3 lbs
- Pockets: 1 (stash pocket)
- Exterior Fabric: 66D/230T StarGaze polyester ripstop 66D/210T polyester taffeta
- Liner Fabric: 75D/240T peached polyester
- Zipper: YKK # 5, 2-way, self-repairing
- Compression Stuff Sack: 17.5″ x 8.5″ dia. / coated polyester ripstop
- MSRP: $129.90
Eureka! Casper 15 Sleeping Bag Review
Eureka! knows a thing or two about making quality outdoor gear. Much of their product line is intended to be as value-packed as possible. The Casper 15 sleeping bag fits that bill. At $129, you’re getting a whole lot of sleeping bag for not much coin.
The included compression sack packs the Casper 15 down to about 12 x 8 inches — easily stuffing inside a backpack with or without a sleeping bag compartment. Getting it in or out of the compression stack is a breeze. shaking it out, it lofts up very quickly.
Slipping inside, the soft-to-touch lining immediately coddles you in comfort. Like most mummy bags, this one is fairly narrow at the shoulders (and I’m no Hulk Hogan), so keep that in mind. That works a bit to its disadvantage with the brushed lining as it tends to stick to your body and twist with you, thus constricting you even more.
I will say that the trapezoidal footbox is perfect for backside sleepers as it gives you extra wiggle-room that’s perfectly-made for your feet. Definitely a nice touch.
The hood cinches down easily, but doesn’t seem to cinch down as evenly as I think it should as the opening didn’t perfectly wrap around my face. That said, I luckily didn’t need it so much since we only experienced overnight temps in the 30’s. The Casper 15 kept me nice and comfy in those temperatures without the need for a beanie or extra layers. I’d say the temperature rating is about right.
Good Casper 15
- Interior is soft to the touch
- It really packs down for a synthetic bag
- Excellent value
- Warmth feels true to its rating
- Trapezoid foot area provides extra wiggle room for your feet
Bad Casper 15
- Lining (though soft) feels unattached to the bag and seems to twist around with you
- Narrow at the shoulders
- Hood didn’t cinch down evenly
Bottom Line: Eureka Casper 15 Sleeping Bag
If you’re searching for an economical 3-season synthetic bag, the Eureka! Casper 15 packs a ton of value and can be had for substantially lower than MSRP. It packs down small and features lightweight, synthetic insulation to keep you warm and comfortable — even when wet.
Buy Now: Eureka Sleeping Bags at REI