When winter approaches and thoughts start going to cold weather exploits one must also remember to keep warm! There are many Down options on the market. One of them is the Mountain Equipment Coop Reflex Down Jacket.
Weighing in at 616 grams it can stuff down with room to spare in the 8 litre OR compression sack. The inner pocket can also be used as a stuffsack but will not compress as much as in the OR compression sack. I stored this jacket open, and would only carry it compressed during outings.
Features of the MEC Reflex Down Jacket
- Shell is 15-denier ripstop polyester with an DWR treatment
- Lining is DWR-treated polyester
- Insulated with 800 fill-power goose down
- Integrated baffled hood with two separate toggled adjustments
- Overstuffed baffled collar with toggle to trap body heat
- Wind flap behind zipper
- Two zippered hand pockets
- Packs easily into its own zippered chest pocket
- Drawcord with toggles at hem to seal in heat
- Fit is roomy enough to slip over a mid-weight fleece
MEC Reflex Down Jacket Review
Sharon’s review is mostly pictorial with some descriptions of its use. A picture is worth a thousand words, right? – Editor
The Reflex jacket was my insulating lunch jacket during ski trips.
It also helped you get out of bed in unheated huts to cook breakfast.
The Reflex served as a backup warm pillow for those -25° C ski traverses.
Provides comfort to enjoy the sunset on fall trips to high places like The Grand Canyon.
The Reflex also makes for great post trip car sleeping.
Good Reflex Down
- Very warm
- Packs reasonably well
Bad Reflex Down
- May be too bulky if space is a consideration
- Arms could be a tad longer
Bottom Line: MEC Reflex Down Jacket
The MEC Reflex Down Jacket is a great warm layer for most trips where you will be standing around in the cold. It fits well but the arms could be a bit longer for added comfort and warmth.
Buy Now: Search MEC.ca for the Reflex Down Jacket