I’m a sock guy. They have to be just the right thickness with the right compression and they have to breathe — definitely have to breathe well. Once the weather warmed up, I switched to the Bontrager RXL 5″ socks and have pretty much ridden them exclusively since.
Bontrager RXL 5″ Socks Features:
- Premium training and racing sock with pro level performance and features
- Split seam heel for extra-deep pocket
- Profila Dry yarns with Olefin provide excellent stretch and moisture transfer for dry, comfortable feet
- Arch compression for a stay-put fit
- Strategically placed cushioning at Achilles and instep reduces pressure during pedal stroke
- Strategically placed ventilation on top and bottom provides great breathability
- Flat toe seam for toe box comfort
- Knit-in size callouts for easy sorting after the wash
- Taller 5″ (13cm) cuff
- MSRP: $15.99
Can’t go wrong with the Bontrager RXL socks
Everyone has their favorite pair of socks. They are typically on top of the sock pile or permanently stored in the back of the Subaru (in my case). They fit perfectly in your cycling shoes and provide all-day comfort for long rides.
Throughout this spring and summer, I’ve had the privilege of wearing a variety of Bontrager gear. And, as simple as they are, the RXL socks are some of my favorites — in spite of them being taller than my usual socks.
Slipping them on, it’s evident that these socks are well-sorted. Your feet are immediately cradled in the proper compression and the deep heel pocket is enhanced by the “Y” stitched heel (above, right image). Some of my other favorites, the FITS Ultra Light Trail Merino Socks, also feature the split heel cup for a more secure and anatomical fit. Once you wear a pair like that, you’ll never want to wear anything else — it’s borderline magical.
I’ve found these to breathe well on long rides and stay stink-free after multiple rides. Luckily, I’ve been blessed with not so stinky feet, so I’ve honestly left these in my shoes in the back of my Subaru for weeks at a time and they have always held their shape and maintained the intended compression. That doesn’t happen with every pair of socks I’ve got at my disposal as most get stretched out and uncomfortable after a couple of rides.
These are well-knit and durable with a high dose of comfort.
- The “Y” stitched heel cup is magical
- Fantastic compression properties
- Stay stink-free after consecutive rides
- Excellent breathability even on rides in 90+ degrees
- Durable, fabric shows no signs of wear — even though my big toes like to cut holes in most socks
- Chain grease doesn’t come out so well
- I’m getting extra tall tan lines
The Bottom Line
As a sock snob, I’m really impressed with these socks. The design offers perfect compression, excellent durability with superb breathability during long, hot rides.
Buy Now: Available at Bontrager.com or Your Local Trek Dealer
Thanks for so detailed review. Would you like to try LMAEDA cycling socks?