Whoa. I mean, WHOA. When Cervelo launched their new S5 last year, it set the mark for aero road bikes. Unbeknownst to all of us, Specialized was holed up in their Win Tunnel, developing a class-shattering aero road bike that would blow everyone away — and specifically the competition.
Bike nerds everywhere are chattering about this new design and it is certainly polarizing at best. Me? Well, I think it looks downright sexy, but I won’t be selling my car to get my hands on one — at $12,500, this bike is for an exclusive few. That exclusive few will start with Peter Sagan, Mark Cavendish and a few others during the 2016 Tour de France.
Have a look at Sagan’s bike:
S-Works Venge ViAS Highlights:
- Rider-First Engineered for a consistent ride across sizes
- As slippery as the Shiv TT
- Stiffest BB of any Specialized road bike
- Zero-Drag brakes placed on the trailing edge of the fork and below the seat stays
- Roval CLX 64 tubeless-ready wheelset (21mm internal rim width)
- Aerofly ViAS cockpit features negative 17-degree stem and integrated spacers
- Aerofly handlebars have a 25mm rise
- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 groupset
- Frame weight: 1150 grams
- $12,500 (available August 2015)
Specialized is making some very bold claims on efficiency, watts saved, time saved and more. While all I can do is trust them on their word, we’ll just have to see how this bike performs at the highest levels of racing — luckily that time is nearly upon us. Bring on Le Tour!
Check out the Venge ViAS launch video:
More Info: Visit Specialized.com