As a perennial favorite of the major ski publications, visitors and locals alike, Deer Valley ski resort keeps on rolling in an effort to keep at the forefront of the skier experience. I say skier experience because they still don’t and hopefully will not ever allow snowboarding on their slopes (let the flogging begin). The fact that they still don’t allow snowboarding is a huge draw in my mind and obviously for others as well.
An Insider’s Tip
I recommend Deer Valley to visitors and locals alike because the service and resort infrastructure is impeccable. Nobody even comes close to the overall experience of skiing at Deer Valley. For the die-hard powder-seeker, the abundant glades are havens of the untracked for weeks after a storm. Most people stay on the groomers, so a quick duck into the trees can yield excellent powder for weeks. With the recent expansion into Empire Canyon, there are some great steep (Daly Chutes) and challenging runs to be had.
New for This Season
As mentioned above, Deer Valley has been hard at work maintaining their world-class position. This season has plenty to mention, here are a few highlights.
- Brand new Lady Morgan Express (high-speed quad) giving access to an additional 200 acres of terrain.
- Installation of Snow Scan ground-penetrating radar combined with a GPS system to instantly track snow depths on the entire mountain (wow!)
- 51 new snow guns for enhanced snowmaking and coverage in newly-opened terrain (10 fan guns, three air/water guns, 13 portable energy efficient guns and 25 fixed tower energy efficient guns)
- Installation of new, energy-efficient heating systems at all 22 lift terminals
- Five new snowcats and 12 new snowmobiles
- Automated ski tuning machines at the Snow Park Ski Shop