Headlamps serve two primary purposes for road runners: to see, and to be seen. You want something that lights your path, and effectively alerts others (especially those behind the wheel of a car) to your presence. The Black Diamond Sprinter meets both of those needs brilliantly, and is super eco-friendly to boot.
Black Diamond Sprinter Specs:
- Bulb type: High-output LED in front, red LED in back
- Beam type: Flood
- Brightness (high setting): 68 lumens
- Weight: 100g/3.5 oz
- Dimensions: Lamp: 2” x 1.25” x 0.75” / Battery pack: 3” x 1.75” x 0.9”
- Maximum beam distance (high setting): 50m
- Brightness levels: 2
- Strobe: yes
- Battery type: lithium polymer rechargeable (6 hour charge time)
- Battery life (high setting, at 70 degrees): 5 hours
- Retail price: $79.95
Black Diamond Sprinter Review
Black Diamond calls the Sprinter “urban-inspired”, and the combination of front and rear LEDs is ideal for runners who need an extra measure of security from road hazards and approaching vehicles.
Light output is impressive: the 68 lumens in front are brighter than most compact lamps, and over 40% brighter than the Black Diamond Spot. The flood beam distributes light evenly in a wide visual field, and is regulated for constant illumination throughout the battery life.
Compared to most external battery headlamps, the Sprinter is very lightweight, and its fore-aft weight distribution is balanced for minimal bouncing and improved comfort. However, an optional top strap is included if you need additional stability.
The red rear strobe is an outstanding safety feature, and has an on/off switch in case you’re either 1) on trails far away from cars, or 2) in a group of runners who don’t want a flashing red light in their face. (Trust me, it’s no fun.)
The Sprinter’s distinguishing feature, however, is the rechargeable lithium polymer battery. With a 6-hour charge time, it burns for 5 hours on the high setting, and 64 hours on the dim setting. The docking port comes with adapters for multiple outlet configurations. Interface between battery pack and charging station is slightly unsteady, so look for the indicator light to ensure the unit is charging.
Finally, the Sprinter’s water resistance is a mighty IPX7, sealed waterproof to 1m – about as good as you’ll find in a running headlamp.
- Strong front LED beam bright enough for use on trails as well as road
- Blinking rear LED for safety, with convenient on/off function
- Rechargeable battery is eco-friendly and economic over long term
- Lightweight, comfortable design
- Outstanding water resistance
- Short battery life on high setting requires frequent recharging
- Battery pack slightly unsteady on charging unit
- No spot setting
Bottom Line: Black Diamond Sprinter Headlamp
The Black Diamond Sprinter is equally suitable for road or trail use, and is a wonderful combination of everything you want in a headlamp – comfort, brightness, and safety – with the added bonus of being Earth-friendly.