Sometimes roadie clothing is a bit much on the trail. There’s something about a super-tight top and bottom while riding singletrack that seems a bit stuffy. I know it’s efficient and typically much cooler since all you’ve got a a little bit of lycra between you and your birthday suit.
Well, believe it or not, sometimes mountain bikers crash. And, if you’re wearing that next-to-nothing lycra on the trail, that hip-check can reveal more than you bargained for. That said… I’ve got nothing against the lycra-clad crowd on the trails, but I simply prefer something a little more 7-Eleven-friendly and something a little more durable should I trade the solid traction provided by my rubber tires in for a flesh/dirt friction test.
About the Zoic Emphatic Jersey
Simple and subtle, the Zoic Emphatic Jersey is constructed of a sturdy combo of bamboo and polyester. I’m sure the concoction is classified, but I’ll tell you this… bamboo is for real. Not only is bamboo completely sustainable (have you see how fast bamboo grows!), but it also naturally provides some pretty amazing anti-odor capabilities.
I’ve had athletic or mountain bike jerseys with a hint of bamboo in them this year, but nothing with the amount of bamboo that the Libertee has. The fabric is relatively thick-feeling, but is super-comfortable next to the skin with a lightweight feel to it.
Zoic’s full line of riding jerseys range from the semi-traditional () to the subtly-hip and modern (Libertee or Pimped Graphic Performance Tee).
A few more details:
- Not your traditional 3 Pocket cycling jersey- we make it with 5
- 3 Rear elastic back pockets for all things cycling
- Shade Chutes : 2 additional secure side zipper pockets- perfect for your sunglasses.
- 9″ semi locking quick release front zipper;
- Zipper Pull Up = unlocked, Zipper Pull Down = locked
- Raglan sleeve design creates a seamless shoulder providing a super-comfortable ride when used with hydration pack.
- Flatlocked body seams for improved comfort and a smooth non-chafing surface against the skin.
- Labeless back neck label
- Fabric: 57% polyester and 43% bamboo
- Colors: Indigo, Silver City, Bombay, Battleship and Chocolate
Zoic Emphatic Jersey Quick Review
The Zoic Emphatic Jersey offers the best of both on-road and off-road function and design. With a little higher zipped crew neckline, three rear pockets and two zippered side pockets, there’s enough room to stash all your necessities and some niceties (iPod, Cell Phone).
Fit is athletic with the Medium fitting me perfectly (5’11 – 170 lbs). Though the fabric is soft and comfortable, it is a little denser than other jerseys (the fabric isn’t very porous), so be forewarned on hot rides. It does wick really well, but it does tend to trap a little more heat than something like the ultrathin Arc’teryx Velox Comp.
Underneath my Deuter Race Air Lite Hydration Pack, this jersey felt comfortable. I didn’t have any seams chaffing my skin or too much bulk–even with the triple back pockets. I did find that my Blackberry Pearl was a little uncomfortable in the side zipper pocket because it interfered with the shoulder straps on my hydration pack.
- Amazing value for the money
- Comfortable next-to-skin
- Great anti-odor bamboo material
- All the pockets you can handle
- Front zipper adds ventilation on-the-fly
- Can be a little warm on midsummer rides
The Bottom Line on the Zoic Emphatic Jersey
Overall, for the money ($45 MSRP), Zoic has nailed it with a comfortable, functional and stylish mountain bike jersey. You can’t touch anything at this price considering the quality construction, fabric mix and function of this shirt.
If you want the same bamboo/poly fabric, but prefer a more standard tee shirt design, check out the Zoic Libertee or Zoic Pimped Out Performance Tee. Both look stellar on and off the bike and are still technical enough to satisfy the most discerning rider.